Orange slice jello shots are a fun twist to your classic jello shots. They are pretty easy to make and cost just about as much as making them in normal cups as a bag of oranges is under $3. Orange slice jello shots are very easy to make, the hardest part is gutting out the oranges. If you have any cuts it could be painful if the orange juices get into your cuts.
What you will need:
1 package of jello, any flavour
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup vodka (flavoured vodka is even better)
1. Cut your oranges in half length wise. Using a spoon very carefully scoop out all the oranges right down to the pith.
2. Clean your orange peels up so they look presentable, and place them open side up. You will want to make sure they won’t move so you can put them in muffin pans so they stay straight.
3. In a bowl mix 1/2 cup of boiling water and jello powder. Stir until the jello is dissolved completely.
4. Next add 1/2 cup of vodka to the mixture and stir.
5. Pour the jello/vodka mixture into the oranges. Place in the fridge for 4 hours until set.
6. Cut orange jello slices into thirds and serve!
I tweaked the recipe a bit a few times to try different things out. Instead of using 1/2 of vodka I did about 1/4 vodka 1/4 juice and it made them taste more fruity.
I also did a batch with 3/4 cup of boiling water. Then used 1/2 cup of vodka and filled the rest of the measuring cup to the 3/4 cup mark with the orange juice from the oranges.
You can try all sorts of combinations. Just make sure to use the same amount of boiling water as your vodka/juice mixture.
Also make sure to only use the left over juices from your oranges with orange jello or it will turn your jello shots murky.
If you are bringing these jello shots to a party where there are children you could make a batch of them without vodka, just make sure you make them in a different flavor so you can tell the difference.